Friday, August 14, 2026

So much thinking and planning!

image from Magnific.com

No actual work, mind you, just still planning 😄 These are the last of the photos I've recently taken ~ goodness knows when I'll actually have something
"concrete" to share with you 😏

image from The Dolls House Emporium

The two windows that came with the kit have solid semi-circles of wood to position beneath them to create the effect of a "bay".  I am going to try to create the same effect from the outside, but cut a chunk out of the space for the window so that I can make window seats or even storage cupboards in the rooms.  I will have to be very careful, though, not to completely compromise the integrity of the front panel!  I haven't quite worked out how to do this but do have a couple of ideas that could possibly work 🤞

I have the solid blocks to use as "templates" and was thinking that I could draw round them onto thin plywood to make tops and bases, then wrap something suitable around them to create the bay.  I'm wondering if perhaps fairly stiff cardboard might be suitable?  Of course if I could manage to cut through them straight, I could even slice up the solid blocks themselves to create the top and bottom pieces ~ but that is a rather big "if" as my cutting skills are rather haphazard 😏     


I mentioned in my previous post that I had also decided to alter the windows and door configurations on both sides of the house...


ta-daa ~ behold, the new bay windows for the "large room" side of the house!


I like the view from the side but haven't quite decided whether to replicate what I'm hoping to do with the front bays or do something different.  I quite like the idea of giving them both a little roof, and supporting them with nice chunky corbels or brackets.  Decisions, decisions 😄    


The back door will fit nicely on the small room-side of the house.  I may possibly add a porch roof ~ I really like this one from Bromley Craft Products:

but I will have to measure up carefully once I've got the door in place to see if it will fit comfortably, bearing in mind that there is a window above it.


Then of course, since I really want to fit a little cloakroom in the hall, there is a big decision to be made as to what to do with the front porch.  The photo above shows it in the position it was designed to be placed in (I hadn't attached the narrow "path" section that runs across the front of the house).  



Once I'd managed to prop up the path, I experimented with setting the porch further out from the body of the house.  The photo above shows it set with the back of the porch more or less level with the front of the house.


This shows the porch set much further away from the house.  It would, of course, give me more wiggle-room in the hallway for the cloakroom but I will have to see how it looks with the bay windows in place.

I think I need to create a simple cardboard mock-up of the cloakroom and set it in position in the hall, which should hopefully give me some idea of how far out from the house the porch ought to be set to make things work properly.

So that circles right back to cardboard mock-ups again, then, I guess ~ I really can't put off this step much longer, can I 😏

No comments:

Post a Comment